Abu Bakr Masjid (ABM) is situated in West Reading and caters for over twenty nationalities. We have been established for less than 5 years. We aim to be the hub of the Muslim community also making an impacting on wider society.
Purpose of the job
The role of the Imam is at the heart of the Abu Bakr Masjid (ABM); the Imam has great significance and responsibility to the worshippers, the staff and volunteers, the management, the Muslim community and wider society. In addition to a strong understanding of Islam and utmost sincerity to please Allah, you should be aware of the varying needs of Muslims in our community, and the role of Masjid not only serving those needs but also in making a positive contribution to the society. As an Imam of the ABM, you will work closely with the ABM’s other Imam and Madrassa head teacher to provide guidance on religious matters, lead congregational prayers and represent the interests of ABM. The role of Imam requires flexibility in working hours and will include some weekends and bank holidays.
- Deliver core religious services
- Provide leadership role and represent ABM to the wider community
- Engage with Muslim youth and community
- Developing relationships with other organisations
Key roles and responsibilities
- Lead congregational prayers on a regular basis and deliver the khutbah for the Jumu’ah prayer.
- Provide Quran and Hadith studies, Sirah and Fiqh lessons, and other Islamic topics to increase knowledge and provide for spiritual growth of community members to be held on a weekly basis.
- Solemnise Islamic marriages according to the ABM procedures
- Develop and implement educational and extracurricular programs for the youth to meet the modern-day challenges.
- Provide funeral services and guidance including liaising with the family.
- Working closely with the head teacher and the Education committee in implementing educational program for the madrassah.
- To devise in conjunction with the head teacher / education committee, an educational development plan covering all activities relating the advancement of education at the centre.
- To work with the head teacher/education committee to organise regular Islamic exhibitions to attract as diverse group to the Centre.
- Develop fund raising initiatives
- Attend staff and management meetings and perform any adhoc tasks as and when required
- Experience of working with diverse community, developing programmes to encourage community participation
- Excellent command of English, both written and verbal.
- Ability to speak Arabic (desirable)
- Ability to speak Urdu (desirable)
- Qualified Islamic scholar (Aalim)
- Memorised the Quran (Hafidh) (desirable)
- Experience of teaching Islamic education, developing Madrassa syllabus and assisting in the administration of Madrassah
- Proficient IT skills
- Experience developing community projects to encourage engagement
- Experience working with non-Muslim organisations
- All applicants successful in the interview must pass a DBS (CRB) check
What we offer
For a right candidate, a package of up to £40k per year is on offer which includes high quality private family accommodation within couple of minute walk of the Islamic centre.
If you are interested in this position and wish to apply please send your updated CV with covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org